Old 04-18-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
Thinhyandoiel
Wight

Thinhyandoiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thinhyandoiel
Eye

Are any of you writing serious fantasy?

Yes actually.

If so, how have you dealt with the temptation to be imitative of Tolkien?

Very poorly I'm afraid. When it comes to plot, it's all my own (though influenced slightly), but the writing style is so similar I end up chastising myself afterwards.

How long have you been working on your story, and why?

Only about three months now. I have made up my own language for it, cuz I'd feel as if I was stealing from Tolkien if I used Sindarin or Quenya. It does have Elves, but they're MY Elves, and are quite different from Tolkien's Elves. In fact I like my Elves better (if that's even possible).

What pitfalls have you faced and how have you overcome them - or not?

Major writer's block. Keeping the character's personalities straight, confusing names in my own head. But the names Eflil and Elfal ARE quite similar...anyways, also some mild criticism from others that was meant well, but when I read it I was not in a good mood and took it quite badly. Other things that have set me back have been school-work & repeated viewings of LOTR (though I wouldn't call that a BAD thing).

But the love of my own world is too great to keep me from continuing with the story. I love my characters, my language and my world. ^.^ Writing's so fun!