View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 05:42 PM   #21
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Scene

So much swooning.

Anyway, to the part I just spotted and want to touch on; a minute of your time, please:

Since when was this part of a Tolkien "Scene" on the internet? When I first got started, back when Fellowship was barely opened in theaters and I had read the books only four times, Barrow Downs was part of the Tolkien Underground. Boom, one movie and a cult classic becomes a scene. It was this 'scene' that made swooning acceptable. Anyway, the Downs, as said somewhere earlier, is about the Lord of the Rings books by JRR Tolkien, and as far as I know, the books are still mostly an underground thing.

Of course, the movies served to turn on the masses to Tolkien's world . . . that's good I guess. It helped renew the popularity of the book, although the number of people absolutely obsessed with it doesn't seem to have jumped nearly as high as you'd think it would have. I'd guess quite a few people just read it as a companion to the film now, which is sad because of how much better the book is.

I just wish they'd cast ugly parts. Not movie ugly, not even tv ugly. Ugly ugly, as Moe Seizlak once said. Curse Hollywood. Why do PJ's movies have to be so awesome? Why?

Anyway, I'm glad the Downs have barely even permitted such things (except maybe the occasional instance of a crazed fan mentioning it). Our Downs, are clean of that fan-girl (mostly) filth. Haha! You don't see us nerds posting Miranda Otto or Liv Tyler swoon pages, now do you girls? I'd like to see some control shown by the Orlyboppers and the "Viggonites". (See, now the roles of guys and girls have been reversed, clever aye?).
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling

Last edited by Keeper of Dol Goldur; 03-29-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote