View Single Post
Old 09-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #32
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I had no time to read this chapter before last night and I see that I have missed out on a lot of good discussion. Anyway.

Davem:
Quote:
I think what we also see is a dislike on Gandalf's part over not being in charge. Perhaps a reluctance to surrender authority - as if the 'old' powers of Middle earth were reluctant to let go.
I don't agree. I think that Gandalf makes it very clear that he respects Aragorn and his opinion, including one instance right in this chapter: "If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him, especially if the Ranger is Aragorn." If Gandalf was really set on going into Moria, as the leader of the Fellowship he basically could have told Aragorn to shut up and go away (it different words, of course.) I think that Gandalf valued Aragorn's opinion and accepted him as sort of a secondary leader to the Fellowship. This, coupled by the danger that Gandalf knew was waiting in Moria (not meaning the Balrog, as I agree with Aiwendil, he could not have known about it), was why he went along with Aragorn's opinion to take the Caradhras route.

If you think about it, there really were no good options. Neither Gandalf nor Aragorn wanted to cross the Gap of Rohan, and with good reason. Taking the Ring so close to Saruman the traitor would not be a good plan of action. The Redhorn Pass in the dead of winter doesn't exactly sound like a joy trip. Even without Caradhras' special storm for them, it would have been bitter cold and snowy. And Moria, where there was obviously some kind of danger, as the Dwarves had received no news from Balin. However, I suppose Gandalf thought that Moria might have gone all right for them, if there were only Orcs and such and there were no mishaps. Besides, Gandalf had been through before, and obviously there was the element of secrecy added in. Undoubtedly, Sauron would be watching by now since the Nazgul had had two whole months to return to Mordor, as others have touched on. Gandalf's choice of Moria over Caradhras seems plausible to me.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote