View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
Uruk's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Uruk's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forlong the Fat View Post
OK. Here's a serious question that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread. What if the movies or some other adaptation portrayed or implied that Aragorn and Arwen had sex? I would say that the books are totally agnostic on this question, and deliberately so as Tolkein worked hard to achieve a romantic/mythological tone that did not delve into the nitty gritty details of characters' personal lives. So it wouldn't necessarily be contrary to the text, but inconsistent with the tone (I had a similar reaction to Branagh's portrayal of Hamet and Ophelia having sex in his movie adaptation of Hamlet).

But the reason I think this an interesting question is because I have no idea what people in ME would think about the issue. There certainly is no indication I know of that they would recognize any proscription against sex outside marriage. Is there any indication as to what sexual mores prevailed in ME?
I've always felt like Aragorn (and Arwen) was just honorable and wise enough to recognize the folly of having a sexual relationship too early.
Uruk's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote