View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #10
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"My commander shall speak to you of your plans," said the Queen. At a gesture, the leader of her guard, Haleth, stood forth, and she gave him quick instructions and then returned to Meduseld with the remainder of her guard.

Eodwine knew Haleth from his times as King's Messenger, but before that also when they had been shoulder to shoulder often enough in battle.

"Well met, Haleth, though I wish the circumstances were better."

"As do I," the commander replied as they clasped hands.

"Let's you and I go into my rooms in a moment, Haleth. First I must see to the matter of getting word to Linduial's father in Dol-Amroth." Eodwine turned. "Degas!"

The young man came toward Eodwine, looking none too happy. Eodwine could not blame him. His eye flicked to Saeryn, whose expression was filled with concern and fear for her brother. Eodwine could not blame her either. Why couldn't the boy have kept both eyes on Linduial? It was not like he had not wished to, by all accounts. No. It would not do to blame Degas. There was someone who deserved all the blame, and it was not this young man. Nevertheless, Linduial had gone missing from under the eye of Degas, and that amounted to something.

"Degas." Eodwine pitched his voice to gravity.

"Lord," Degas murmured, his head lowered; but he had the strength of will to raise his eyes and meet Eodwine's. That was good.

"Take your horse and ride to Dol-Amroth. Inform Linduial's father of what has passed here. Tell him that I will do everything in my power to secure her freedom. Go tonight."

Degas nodded and walked to the stables. Saeryn remained standing where she was, but did not look happy; was it over Eodwine's curtness with her brother?

"Lord," said a voice near his shoulder. Eodwine turned. It was Garstan.

"Yes, Garstan?"