View Single Post
Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #11
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
"Yes, Garstan?" Eodwine answered the stoneshaper's tentative request for recognition.

"Lord. The search party for Linduial. When it goes, I should like to go too. But there is something that troubles me." Garstan paused, struggling to find the words to voice his fears.

"Yes?" Eodwine's voice was encouraging.

Garstan's thoughts poured out in a confused torrent. "I want to go. I have to go. I owe it to Lady Linduial. I can't stomach the thought of her being imprisoned by villainous traitors." A deep scowl crossed his face as disgust and revulsion rose in him at the mention of Linduial's abductors. "I owe it through duty to Rohan, as this matter closely concerns the Queen. And I owe you service, Lord, for your aid to me. As the task of her recovery falls to you, I must help you in any way that I can. Yet still, despite all of this, I am held back. For how, Lord, can I leave my children behind? Who can tend to them when all the folk of the Hall are away on this quest?" Though other thoughts for his children still troubled him, Garstan did not go on. He hesitated to voice fear that he would not return from the journey, even if only for his children's sakes. Garstan did not want to be thought a coward; he had not gone to war with the Riders of the Mark when all the world hung upon the brink so few years ago. Though it was through no fault of his own, he still felt shame for remaining behind.

"Not all go," came Saeryn's terse voice. "I will stay behind, and would care for the children, as well as I can, until your return."

Saeryn's presence at the Hall had not occured to him. Of course she would be remaining at the Hall. And though Garstan hesitated to leave his children, he was sure that Saeryn would be able to watch them. Garmund, too, could help check Lčođern's more capricious whims. Saeryn would not be left with two wild charges.

"I thank you, Lady. If it is not too great a burden, I will be thankful for your aid. If I go. For I still do not know if I will. I need your advice and permission, Lord. Will you have me?"