View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #17
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The plans Haleth and Eodwine made left much to be desired. Search parties number at least three each would be dispatched throughout the Emnet. Eodwine had insisted that they should comb the Middle Emnet first; Haleth had wanted to send search parties farther afield on the grounds that there was no knowing where a criminal might take a hostage. Whereas Eodwine allowed this, he held that it was a poor use of their limited manpower to send parties so far afield while there was so much area to cover closer to home. Haleth allowed that as well, but cut through Eodwine's argument with a pointed statement.

"Save men all you like, Eorl, but if she's not in the Emnet, searching the whole of it has done you no good."

"Aye, that is so. But I doubt me she is far away. Who that lives afar would have known that Linduial was in Edoras?"

"That, Eodwine, is a good question that would help us narrow our search afield."

"Then I will leave the answer to be found to you. I being Eorl of the Middle Emnet will keep my searching in it."

Haleth rose. "I will think it out. I will pinpoint the folk or places far afield where those who live might know the goings on in Edoras. Then I will go to the queen and king and ask for men."

"So be it." Eodwine rose and opened the door, and allowed Haleth out.

Standing ill at ease in the hallway was a guard from Meduseld. Eodwine recognized his face, but had to think a moment before the name came back. Deren.

"I greet you, Deren." The young man looked expectant and hesitant both at once. "What may I do for you?"