View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #22
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
The idea of donning a disguise and worming his way into the lives at Lord Eodwine's hall appealed greatly to Osfrid. To Osfrid, there was nothing better than to create a new identity and play the part, whether it was to scam poor saps out of their coins or, as in this case, to pry into people's private matters. It just like a play to Osfrid, and he was the star of the show.

"Do you agree to this, Osfrid?" asked Sorn, "I can always send someone else if you object, though I am sure you'd be the best at playing the act, to put it simply..."

"Oh, I'll certainly do this, Sorn," Osfrid told him, standing from his seat, "Snooping and spying are my specialties."

"Excellent! How soon are you able to leave?"

"First thing tomorrow, if Muriel can repack everything quickly enough! And I assume we may take the cart with us…?" Sorn nodded yes, and Osfrid clapped his hands together in satisfaction. "Well, then! If you'll excuse me, I have to tell my Muriel about our little plot."

He wheeled out of Sorn's opulent study, with a wide smile across his face. Sorn's plan had not been as extravagantly maniacal as he had expected. In fact, Osfrid was pleased both to escape Sorn for a while and to get to know Lady Linduial's friends and family. And Muriel would like to see the city again. Osfrid and Muriel, along with Sorn and his gang, had only stopped in Edoras for a day. Once Lady Linduial had been kidnapped, they headed out of town as quickly as possible. Muriel had been disappointed not to shop as much as she had hoped to at the horse fair. Another visit to Edoras would make it up to her.

Osfrid came to his and Muriel's small room at the hall's end. He entered and found Muriel laying clothes out on the bed. Her back was turned, but she heard the door creak and his footsteps cross the threshold.

"Osfrid, is that you again?" she said, not looking up from her work. She finished folding a black skirt into nice, square package and then turned around, hands on her waist. "Oh, Osfrid, it is you. I was just folding our clothes. Tell Sorn we'll need another chest to hold all of it." She picked a tunic from a pile of clothes on the floor and folded it in the air.

"No need to worry about unpacking, Muriel dear!" he announced, walking briskly towards her, "We're headed back to Edoras! Just us two!"

Muriel's face immediately brightened. She skipped over to him, throwing the tunic onto the bed behind her. "Oh, Osfrid! Like on a holiday!" She threw her arms around Osfrid's broad shoulders and sighed. "Maybe the horse fair will still be there."

"I'm afraid it might be over, honey," Osfrid said, "But we still can buy plenty of nice things at the market." He wrapped an arm around her waist and guided her over to the bed. They sat down, not minding the clothes arranged across it. Osfrid's voice took on a less cheerful tone. "The real reason we're going, dear, is because Sorn wants us to learn about the rich lady's family and friends."

"You mean like…spying?"

"Honey, it'll be fun! We can invent new names for ourselves, and pretend we're different people!"

Muriel still looked skeptical, "But- but can we still shop in the market?"

"Of course, my dearie," said Osfrid. He leaned across the bed to kiss her on the forehead. "Now, let's start repacking all these clothes! We need to look like travelers. We can leave tomorrow, if you'd like."