View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #28
The Sixth Wizard
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Sixth Wizard has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to The Sixth Wizard
Palantir-Green

I first read the Sil a while ago, but only after reading about the various gods and stories elsewhere, like in the Encyclopaedia of Arda. This probably gave me some background to decipher the more complex texts and I had it read in a fortnight or maybe less. I was 13 at the time.

Much of it is beautiful, the Last Stand of Dor-Lomin stirs my heart. Hurin is my favourite character, over Turin and Fingolfin. I imagine vividly Earendil returning with a star upon his brow, can see the fire in Feanor's eye as he pursues Gothmog and Morgoth's forces. I like how Men are not considered pure, but easily tempted, and free to choose their own path. I also like how it isn't the goodies who get away with it, it's not predictable like most stories. One of my favourite things about it is that Aragorn's son (can't remember his name) is so far down the line he has a strain of Maiar, Teleri, Noldor, Vanyar and Dunedain (check it you'll see). I positively like the Silmarillion. It probably is a difficult book for most teenagers but I found it very intriguing.

Bye!
The Sixth Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote