View Single Post
Old 12-27-2005, 06:49 PM   #3
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
[I]Now everyone is waiting for Frodo to start the journey. Why? Isn’t this Frodo Baggage? Sure, PJ was thinking, “we need more Elijah,” but to me it’s a bit inconsistent and heavy-handed. Yes, Frodo leads and yes, Frodo needs guidance. But after lying prone at Weathertop, offering no resistance, and being carried by Arwen to the Ford, Frodo isn’t really the leader-type.
Whoa there! Where on earth is Frodo a Leader in the books? This is exactly what he DOESN'T want to be! He takes the responsibility of the Ring, yes. But not the LEadership of the fellowship. We all know, as Aragorn tells us, that Gandalf was their leader. Does Frodo try to lead a merry little band into Mordor? NO! He wants to go himself, and relunctantly takes Sam with him. Does he play any 'Leadership' part back in Hobbiton? No, he leaves all this work to Merry Pippin and Sam. He is not a leader, in ANY circumstances, in the book - therefore why be one in the movie?
Quote:
It’s kind of like Frodo here. He’s ‘free’ and is only here to carry the Ring. Others will be doing all of the paying…
'only here to carry the ring' - the most important, selfless, bravest job of all! So the other 8 have to chip in and 'pay' as you said! Frodo is picking up most of the tab just by carrying the Ring, let me tell you!

Quote:
Arwen’s response to Aragorn’s departure could have been a bit more demonstrative. I’m not saying that she should be on the ground, crying and smashing her fist into Arda, but a little more than a dip of the head was warranted.
I just LOVE her heavy breathing!

Quote:
40 days? And I thought that everyone zipped around Middle Earth in a day or two.
I love how this shows the thought processes going on in the scriptwriters' heads - yes, they get a lot wrong, but it's little things like this that make the movie work for me - It took about 20 book days to get to Moria, and that's about half the distance to the Gap of Rohan where Movie Gandalf was heading........

Quote:
Gimli, our proud dwarf, suggests that the Fellowship cross the Misty Mountains via the Mines of Moria, and Gandalf the Black is against it. Did I hear that right? Is there a possibility that the actors read the wrong lines from the cue cards?
yeah, can't work out why they've made Gandalf the one who DOESN'T want to go through Moria.....

Quote:
Boromir retrieves the Ring, and stares at it dangling from its chain. His words show you that he is caught in the Ring’s web, and it is calling to him. Aragorn shakes him, keeping him from acting upon his desire. He actually gives the One Ring of Power back to Frodo, who appears to be a whiny sobbing child.
No, Frodo grabs it back petulantly and gives Boromir a look of (hate?) distaste - he is not being passive, nor whiny or sobbing.
Quote:
Boromir's heart still resists.
No, his HEAD resists, not his heart......

Quote:
Luckily for “leader” Frodo that Daddy Aragorn was there. Say something! Master Baggage…
Boromir does not see Aragorn's hand on his sword - He is not really answering to Aragorn as he comes out of his trance - Anyone, including Frodo, could have told him to give the Ring back.....
Quote:
Boromir adds to Frodo’s diminution by rubbing his head. Here kid, here’s your Ring back, so stop yer crying.
But this is showing Movie Boromir's feelings towards the hobbits - that he sees them as kids and easy to manipulate and to cajole - (which he learns to his detriment he is wrong later!) - Frodo shows his mettle by NOT answering back as a kid would no doubt do..........he just does the clever thing and locks away a little mental note in his head about Boromir that he remembers at the end of the movie!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote