View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #24
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just to get one thing straight, I look at everything (with the possible exception of my children) with a crooked eye. To me, not only is the glass half empty, it's the wrong beverage, stale and served warm. So if I sound critical of the PJ adaptations, it's just my way, and if I really didn't like them, well, then I may not be the threadstarter.

Now, maybe we can use the example below to (1) see if we're all being critical and dumping on PJ and (2) see if we can figure out why PJ did what he did.

So, in Imladris, just as the Fellowship leaves, Frodo is called to start the Nine off. Surely the token leader, and we'll leave that discussion for another day, but as he asks direction from Gandalf, Frodo really doesn't know where to go.

That would be my main man's role. The wise counselor, the rolling stone, the friend of all, the image that PJ got spot on - Gandalf.

He is the first character seen in the 'hero shot.' We see later in the sequence that it is Gandalf that is forging a path through the snow on Caradhras. He will lead even the King through the Black Pit. And just who set all of this in motion, and has the power not only to escape Saruman's roof but can cut Hugo Weaving short?

So mull this about: Gandalf, recently incarcerated, leads the Nine towards the Gap of Rohan, which, even in the movie, is near Saruman. Some birds appear, spies no doubt, and suddenly Gandalf has the urge to see some snow. He continues attempting the Pass when it is clear that there's just no way that the FotR will survive the journey, then after a really sudden and heavy snow, allows for some debate on the road to take. Boromir, who Gandalf argued with at the Council, suggests the Gap again. Gandalf no longer even considers this ("NO!"), and Gimli then suggests for the second time the Mines. Gandalf leaves the decision up to Frodo, who decides to go through Moria.

Leaving the book aside, we have Gandalf wanting to go near Saruman (didn't he have a palantir?), then over Caradhras, then finally through the mines. What was PJ trying to show here? That Gandalf was reacting to the will of Saruman, who was closing the garrote round their necks?

Why didn't PJ simplify things by having Boromir suggest the Gap, allow the birds to prove Gandalf's point about that road being watched (Gandalf correct, Boromir wrong, Ring too dangerous to take near white istari), then after Gandalf's 'Plan A' failing on Caradhras, conceding that the only road left to them was black.

We could save a few minutes and make Gandalf, recently the penthouse guest of Orthanc, a little more consistent.

My theory is that PJ may have wanted to make Gandalf a little less certain and perfect, and by doing so, elevating all other characters somewhat.

Is this negative? I don't think so. As I've always stated, especially after I've been caught bashing , is that I'm just trying to figure out why PJ made the decisions that he did.