View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 07:32 PM   #55
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

Anwenelme smiled to herself, pleased that he was so attentive to her. He did seem to be distracted but that was only to be expected from one who had so recently seen combat. As they strolled among the trees it seemed that she might at last be able to find some measure of peace...away from her mother, away from here!

Melost felt like a deceiver as he saw the contentment on her face, a look that he could never remember having seen there before. At that moment he would have gladly thrown himself in front of an enemy's on-rushing horse than tell her what he kept hidden in his heart. Up ahead he heard voices and welcomed the chance to escape for a little while longer the inevitable.

They emerged from the trees to see Menelya and Arthain engaged in conversation. As soon as Arthain saw them, a subtle look of desperation flew across his face and Melost had to grin. Well he remembered long nights spent in the home of Menelya when he first began to court Anwenelme and he knew that his friend needed to be rescued. He whispered to Anwenelme that he would call on her at dinner, then kissed her hand. She sighed, exasperated. Why was it he always had to leave her just when she had started enjoying his company? She gave him a wintry smile, then gathered up her skirts and walked away without looking back.

Melost sighed, then froze as he saw the look on Arthain's face as he watched Anwenelme walk away. Jealousy flared in his gut when he saw the appraising gaze of his friend. For a moment he stopped, aaghast at his own thoughts. He looked down and saw that he was trembling, his hands clenched into fists. Melost instantly calmed himself and strode to Arthain's side. Menelya stood and greeted him effusively, kissing his cheek and fussing over him. He took her hand and kissed it absently, trying to blot out what he had just seen.

"Arthain my friend, I see you have made the aquaintance of my lady's mother. Nothing happens anywhere in the Elven Kingdoms but that she hears of it, is that not right M'Lady?" She laughed, flattered. They engaged in light banter for a short time, then at last Melost put his hand on Arthain's shoulder. "M'Lady, I regret that I must steal away your companion. May I beg leave?" Menelya cocked her head to one side as if thinking, then slapped him lightly on the arm. " If you must, scoundrel! But I do expect your company this evening" He kissed her hand once again, this time lingering ly. "Lady, short of your daughter's company, nothing would bring me greater pleasure!" He glanced at Arthain, who's look of disbelief nearly caused him to burst out laughing. They both bowed to her, then took their leave.

"Quite a performance, Melost!" He looked at his friend in amusement. Melost returned the look half-heartedly. "Arthain, we must speak. I have sensed turmoil in you since leaving the camp of Isildur. We go to war soon my friend and I would not have us at odds with one another." Arthain shrugged him off, but Melost restrained him. "Do not do this. I covet your friendship, even though there are...many things on both our minds."