View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 03:49 PM   #8
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well, crafty bugger that he is, technically Gandalf did not kill Denethor. It was all that mean, nassty horses fault, preciouss. <P>Shadowfax, tired of all the inane human babbling, fires up and decides to pitch Denethor into the flames. Did Gandalf instruct him to? That's for the Steward Review Committee to decide. Was it absolutely necessary or possible for Denethor to jump down, run off and plunge to his doom? Well, why not have a guy running around in a flaming suit. The special effects budget is there to be used. <P>As for an inconsistency with the book, mister lindil sir (waggles bill in respectable acknowledgment), there is an interesting thread in the Books Forum where we discussed this topic. It was my contention that the deaths of Denethor and Boromir were extremely <I>convenient</I> and that without Faramir as Steward, Aragorn's ascendance to the throne would have been far more difficult. I think that the movie did well to highlight this fact, and that although <I>The Pyre of Denethor</I> was not as I would have presented it, it remained a pretty good scene (notwithstanding Gandalf's once again useless narration, and the lack of any personality from Denethor's helpers, which would have slowed the scene down).<P>I like the fact that this brief glimpse of politics was shown, and that Gandalf and Aragorn will be perceived by some as not being completely above reproach. Most people, unfortunately will feel comfortable with any necessary action being taken to humiliate and destroy Denethor, given his previous treatment of his son and army. <P>*cough* Saddam! *cough* *cough*