View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #21
juhsstin
Pile O'Bones

juhsstin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I, too, was rather astonished at the staff whack, as I was when Pippin, after valiantly offering his service, was nudged rather severly and told to get up. (For the record, the theater-goers clapped at the first incidence, and laughed at the second. It seems to have been a rather strange audience). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>the staff whack caught me off guard, but i didn't even notice the pippin nudge, and in my theater, everyone laughed at both. i think it's a little bit of a "childish humor to get the audience laughing" kinda thing. but i still thought the staff whack was out of line. <P>denethor was already made out to be a pretty nasty guy, more so than when i read it in the book. this too might be thought of as "exaggerating characteristics to make it clear for the audience" imho. just a guess anyway <P>so with the murder thing, you're in fact saying that gandalf MURDERS denethor. it's really shocking to think of it that way. gandalf just gets down and dirty in ROTK doesn't he?
juhsstin is offline   Reply With Quote