View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #21
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
There are so many good ideas and thoughts that I will never be able to stay on top of it all -- oh well, beats working. . .

I think that the impulse to 'keep it simple' expressed by Durelin is a good one -- for that reason I would think it best to keep things 'strictly' Elves and avoid all Easterlings etc. Also, the armies that attack Lorien from Dol Guldur are specifically said by Tolkien to be composed of orcs, and I see no reason to change that. (And didn't Pio say in her informative email that the Houseless would not 'take over' anyone but other Elves. . .? Note to self: check that.)

I'm not so sure about the idea of the 'possessed Elves' joining up with and murdering the Lorien Elves -- any Elf so unfortunate as to be seduced by one of the Houseless would be immediatly identifiable to a 'normal' Elf.

So at any rate, in the interests of keeping things simple -- why not severly restrict the number of Elves who get taken over by the Houseless: say, three? (That would appeal to Prof Tolkien I think: Three Houseless to oppose the thee Elven Rings). The Lorien envoys could follow these Three into Mirkwood where they meet up with the Mirkwood Elves, and then they have a great stand-off/showdown with the Houseless in which there's no fighting, but a very Elvish kind of give and take as the unaffected try to drive the Houseless out of their friends and kin -- with song and story, enchantments (but not magic!), memories of home etc etc. When the Houseless are driven out, the three freed Elves find that they have some of the memories of the departed spirits and they reveal a 'secret' army of orcs being sent against Lorien, so the Lorien Envoys and Mirkwood Scouts head like H*** for Lorien to warn them. . .

This way we could still have three groups of gamers: Mirkwood Scouts, Lorien Envoys and Houseless-taken Elves (who could maybe interact with orcs, etc).

I think it's a good idea to begin in media res with the three groups already 'on the move'

Having fun thinking about all this. . .

Fordim