View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #18
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Just to set a tone for my response allow me to say that I disagree with the assessment that desiring the completion of the quest is somehow seedier than saving their lives. Also, I think that it is possible (even vitally necessary) to desire both at once. I hope this preface serves to clarify my response. I hope I will be able to explain myself adequately below.

First, I trust we can agree that the Power of Good places value on the lives of Frodo and Sam because the Power of Good values life as being inherently valuable.

That being said, I’m going to say something that may sound a trifle harsh. Frodo and Sam were the chosen tools to complete a task that is also inherently valuable to the Power of Good. Frodo was chosen to bear the Ring and I think it is safe to say that Sam was chosen to accompany and assist him. This task involving the freedom of the living beings in the world and involving who was going to be given the divine honor entangles the fate of myriads more beings than Frodo and Sam. Their status as “pawns” actually armors them with more value to the Power of Good because they are the way to achieving an aim that is also inherently good.

Quote:
even though the Hobbits don't consent to this loss of control - it just happens to them.
I’m not so sure about this either. I think their use of the Phial does imply some degree of consent in what happened. What they said may have been an expression of their own will, only in a form “focused” through their use of the Phial into a more powerful form.

Also notice the difference here between Sauron and Gandalf (and ultimately Eru). Sauron sends the Nazgul to find the Ring, beings he tricked and has utterly enslaved to his will. Gandalf, on the other hand, persuades Frodo to go and Sam goes for love of Frodo. Frodo accepts the burden of his own will where the Nazgul fulfill their task without regard to whatever will they may or may not have had in the matter.

That Fordo earnestly attempted to get as far as he had (up to that point) I think is a powerful aid to consent when the Power of Good desired to intervene to both save their lives and ensure the continuation of the Quest.

Also notice the, well, almost providential manner in which this whole business falls out. Frodo and Sam were trapped between two large parties of orcs in unfamiliar territory with little potential for cover. They had One Ring to split between them. Chances are, had Frodo escaped Shelob unscathed, one or the other of them would have been spotted (whichever didn’t have the Ring obviously) and the Quest would have been in deep doo-doo. Instead, Frodo is poisoned and taken prisoner and Sam escapes through use of the Ring. However, Frodo is taken in the direction he was intending to go, into Mordor. Through the loot the orcs find on his body, the garrison of Cirith Ungol is destroyed, which would have been a terribly difficult obstacle for Frodo and Sam to get past had things gone otherwise.

Frodo and Sam may have gotten through Cirith Ungol and into Mordor in the only manner possible.