View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
So with no better security than this, you southron Barbarians think you can tackle Gondor? Pathetic. You'll need all the help you can get from the Dark Lord. [/IC]

I see there's some speculation about the Acolyte, as was to be expected. The narration seems to indicate that they somehow partake in the Envoy's investigation, like Lommy and Legate have guessed, and I think there's also a hint in the term itself: an acolyte (according to wikipedia) is an assistant to the priest and may be aspiring to priesthood himself but hasn't attained it yet - which is why I think they can't dream on their own, but rather are let in on the Envoy's dreams somehow, more or less like Legate has suggested.

Another possibility would be that the acolyte doesn't have any powers to start with but gains them during the game - possibly when they pick their allegiance (if they do that by choice). Or maybe they inherit the Envoy's dreams (and/or power of dreaming?) in case of his death? That would of course be shiny in case we manage to lose our Seer early.

On the other hand, there's clearly a possibility that the Acolyte may turn, or be turned, to the dark side and use their powers, whichever they may be, against us - which is why I don't quite get Lommy's doubts whether "it's wise to discuss the details". I mean, why shouldn't we discuss what we may be up against? OK, it's all speculation at this point, but what's the harm in speculation? It's not like anybody is going to say "I think Finnegan's the Envoy and Freddy is the Acolyte".

(x-ed with Legate and Zil)

EDIT: and Boro and G55. Stop frowning.

Last edited by Pitchwife; 02-21-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote