View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 07:53 AM   #21
Numenorean
Haunting Spirit

Numenorean has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Greetings & welcome Elessar and everyone,
Quote:
Is there anybody else out there who felt highly disappointed with the lack of the Grey Company and Elrond's sons from RotK?
I felt more dissappointed about their non-appearance than just about anything else in PJs flawed masterpieces.
From my understanding (which can be scanty at best) the Dúnedain of the North & Elronds sons (clearly the most fell Elves of the 3rd Age) were crucial to the military, morale and execution of Aragorns and the Wests' victories - post Helms Deep. Aside from that, I felt their appearance and continued presence (in the books) revealed compelling insights into Aragorns character and mindset that gave him real human depth and helped to flesh him out as a man. The valour of Arnor, old friendships re-newed, fierce loyalty earned through hard respect, Aragorns yearning for Arwen - are just some of the things I gleaned from his interaction and relationships with the Grey Company. By their very appearance they also showed Aragorn actually does have a noble clan of people in his own right - the movies made him seem like a race of one.
'…Avallónë, the haven of the Eldar upon Eressëa, easternmost of the Undying Lands, and thence at times the Firstborn still would come sailing to Númenor in oarless boats, as white birds flying from the sunset…'
Numenorean is offline   Reply With Quote