View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 11:35 AM   #175
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
But surely it is nowhere near as far from Hollin to Eregion as from England to the Holy Land and the feet of the elves are swift and tireless and they exist nicely on Lembas...... so they are not exact equivalent. Elf communities seem to exist more or less on fresh air generally . Also maybe there would be an advance party? Just thoughts....
However, you neglect one crucial factor. They may be tireless, but they are not immune to cold. Disease maybe, but not the elements themselves. Also, they are not going by themselves, in a little group. They may be swift of foot, but they aren't The Flash or Sonic the Hedgehog. They will also need to manage pack animals, or something of that nature, as I doubt they are so swift and light when weighed down by armor, weapons, and other material for war. Thus, the special qualities are the Elves are diminished and expunged from in this case, as they really do not pertain. Either the Elves wear everything they bring, and are slowed down, or they deal with pack animals, which get sick and weak and die. Either way, they can't leave Lindon until the spring, or they risk losing everything in the winter months. Once the leave, however, they must deal with the enemy, and the burden of the pack animals.

An advanced party would be slaughtered. Too few of them to contend with anything. If the greatest elf warriors can be slain by orcs, so can some 'nobody' elves. Orcs aren't stupid ya know, especially when led by a Maiar.

Oh, and I was not referencing England. I tend to use the Holy Roman Empire, because it is just better.