View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 06:43 AM   #181
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
Do you really think it would take such a long time for 500 soldiers to travel 500 miles? One way of settling this argument is to look at the chronology of the Second Age in Appendix B of LotR.

The Last Alliance contained much more than 500 soldiers, and travelled about the same distance (from the Misty Muntains near Imladris to Dagorlad) that our elves must travel in under one year, with time to fight and defeat Sauron, too. Also, the Last Alliace was gaining soldiers as it was travelling, from Moria and Lorien. The Last Alliance undoubtedly had a baggage train, but it does not seem to have had much of an effect. Also, our elves will have roads to travel along for most of the way; the Last Alliance mostly moved through wilderness. I'm guessing that it would take a few months, maybe half a year, for the Elves of Lindon to reach Ost-in-Edhil. If they start early there's a high liklihood they'll arrive before the siege begins. The Elves of Lindon could also be mounted, adding speed. (see the subject of food, below, for more about horses.)

Also, not all of their Elven advantages would be hampered or completely hampered by armor. Armor can be made light or carried in carts. An advance party can always retreat before being seen by the enemy. Pack animals do not always die in winter. Elves can always drape blankets across their animals' backs, and winters are not always harsh. Yes, the strongest elf can be killed by a few orcs, but the orcs will not have penetrated so deep into Eregion by this time, only attacking southern villages and maybe moving along the mountains. The elves can, as I have said before, retreat from orcs. They have the advantage of sight, and can see orcs before the orcs see them. The elves could move in small units, making retreats and detours even easier.

As too the problem of food, I doubt that 500 soldiers won't be able to meet villages along the way. Also, because they are on the move, they won't stay in areas for too long before moving on. If the elves are mounted, their horses only need some grass to eat. Grass is everywhere!

To close, not all of the fates that have been described will befall our elves. Mithalwen, please don't leave because of some exaggerated remarks.
The Last Alliance was moving in great haste, for such was the need. They had already done the preparations, ect. But, also note, The Elves and Men had already been fighting Sauron by the time of the Last Alliance, and with many allies in other regions, it would not be hard to find a quick route through, especially when on the heels of Sauron's retreat. In this case, however, Sauron is on the offensive, which makes a big difference, at least when it comes to military preparations. When your enemy is on the defensive, you have time to plan, and yet move in haste to catch them at their weakest. When on the offensive, you must plan as well, but you must be more thorough, for otherwise if you fail, you are doomed. Thus, haste is not the greatest course for a defender.

But, nevermind my rantings on such things. In any case, the whole thing matters not. Tis only a minute aspect. I just like to rant, a lot.

Last edited by CaptainofDespair; 07-14-2005 at 07:54 AM.