View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #183
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcarillo
And our elves won't move as quickly as possible to Ost-in-Edhil? They don't know when or if the city will come under attack. I would move soldiers as quickly as possible in any unknown situation. After all, they don't receive messages from the city regularly. Have they not already prepared in Lindon? It may take a month or so to prepare, but I wouldn'y include this in the actual traveling time. The elves have no hostile enemies until they reach Eregion, and even then there are villages that would aid them. Also, Orcs would not attack during the day. This would provide a mostly unhindered journey. At night the elves would need to keep watch and some soldiers should be awake at all hours, but most major Orc forces are busy in southern Eregion, with their own agendas and plans and villages to terrify. The Orcs don't know that the elves are coming from Lindon. I'd say that four to five months is a good time frame. Six months if something goes awry.
There is a difference. The Last Alliance was already at war against Sauron. They moved with haste to beat Sauron, having already crippled him in Eriador. Our elven army is not necessarily at war, directly at least. It is still 'entering' the conflict. If the army was smart, it would move with caution, especially into an unknown situation. In some cases, Eregion might be considered a necessary casualty. The losses sad, but a force capable of withstanding Sauron is still needed, and thus the loss of Eregion is necessary to prevent further destruction. Though, that is hypothetical . That would mean the Elven army is a mere rescue force, to pick up the survivors.

Also, who said Sauron only sent orcs to destroy Eregion? He does have the Easterling tribes to force into service. Not a lot, and maybe unlikely, but they could be there, as pure NPCs to harry the army.