View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I don't really mind Eowyn talking to her soon to be dead King, as I understand we would have needed more screen time and a slower pace earlier on to have the friendship between Thedoen and Merry tie in with Merry and the King at his death. It's a pity we don't have Merry here at the last though. We do not now have the bitterness of knowing that Eowyn is close by her King, almost dead herself, and that he never knew....

Quote:
Gimli speaks for me, as here there’s no reason not to use the ghostly green slime to invade Mordor, as no help arrived by ship nor is now marching north to Gondor.
Who says it's not? We just don't see it in this film. The "green slime" have done their job, in Minas Tirith instead of Pellagir, and now they must be set free.

Quote:
Pippin, using much of the day, continues to search for the body of Merry. Finally, possibly knowing the look of a hobbit’s foot, he sees his friend underneath the body of a foe. Merry’s all right, and Pip vows to take care of him, which is, I guess, PJ’s way of showing that Pippin is now growing up and not relying on Merry.
It's just a great pity that we didn't have Merry's immortal line 'Are you going to bury me?' and Gandalf's 'he should have been borne in honour into the city' that always makes me shed a tear for Merry. But (for the latter) we would have to acknowledge Gandalf's 'sight' in seing all that happened on the field, and this would not have worked Movie wise unfortunately.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote