Thread: The true Istari
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 06:33 PM   #21
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Eönwë, I disagree that Gandalf's powers increased because he acquired a new staff. The restrictions set upon him came from across the Sea, not from the type of stick he held in his hand. Saruman became more powerful than Gandalf (in his dealings on Middle-earth) because he ignored the instructions given to him - not because his staff was flashier. Likewise, Gandalf became more powerful after the rules of the game changed, and he was permitted to demonstrate more power.
My theory was that when inside their human bodies the Istari could
not use their power, but the Valar gave them staves (I think thats the right word) to allow them to release their power from inside their body. Maybe the staves were a means of controlling how much power each Istar was given? SO the leader would get the most power, for example. I'm not saying its about how the staff looked, but abot what it could do. I think when Gandalf returned he was granted a new staff which allowd him to use more power so that he could win the war. Saruman used his powers too much, and started using more than his prescribed amount, so he was baihed. Gandalf stayed within the limits, it was just that when he got the new staff, the linits increased so that he wold have a chance against the enemy/ies. Well, thats just what I think anyway.