Old 10-18-2002, 10:36 PM   #2
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Silmaril

Quote:
FG-T-05 KO
horses were brought {(a grey horse for Tuor)} [, one white for Voronwë and one grey for Tuor;]
I may have taken too much liberty in adding that Voronwe's horse was white, but I can't think of any other reasonable way to introduce the fact that Tuor's horse was grey; all other horses used by the Eldar seem to be white. We might simply use: . . . horses were brought, a grey horse for Tuor . . .; I don't know if that's really awkward or not.
Is it really that important to say that his horse was white? Do we even know that? There is a reference that says that elves also used grey horses.
From Of Tuor and his Coming to Godolin:
Quote:
Thus he stood and spoke no word. Silent upon either hand stood a host of the army of Gondolin; all of the seven kinds of the Seven Gates were there represented; but their captains and chieftains were upon horses, white and grey.
lindil: I remeber that I posted in a thread about the 7 names of Gondolin, is that gone or did I just imagine it.