View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 10:31 PM   #19
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

Quote:
However (and now we're being really pedantic) the arrival of Tuor in Gondolin actually takes place several years before the quarrel of Thingol and the Dwarves. Considering this, I think we are justified in omitting "Argon", and I would vote to do so as it sounds to me a bit awkward to include him (particularly since his role is so brief).
Hmmmm. I'm not sure I agree with you there. While I'm aware that using Argon does indeed sounds awkward, and while it is true that he has been dead for a very long time and his rôle is very small, it is still a fact according to the Shibboleth of Fëanor that Argon was the tallest of the sons of Fingolfin. If we omit this, it is IMO that we would be telling a lie, if you will
unless if we were to disregard the information that he was the tallest of the brothers, but I see no reason to do so.
I have reread the principles again, and I do not see a principle contradiction that would disable our use of Argon.
Also, he was the brother of Turgon too, so it would be more obvious.