View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #55
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
But now that I'm much older, I can see how a bunch of 13-year-olds taking over the Downs could be a bit of a nuisance for the older and more mature members.

And once you disappear, it can be difficult to return after a long period of time. I left the Downs for two years and it took a lot of effort to bring myself back because it wasn't easy to return to a place that was while familiar, completely different that how I remembered. This is most likely why some old members who try to return will disappear again; they realise the forum moved on without them and suddenly a place where they were once comfortable feels so foreign. I'm glad I stuck it out since I've become even closer to members than I did before I disappeared, and I do love it when I see old members return to stay awhile.
Hi Brinniel! Your post is very thoughtful and insightful. The first paragraph that I quote above, frankly and with all respect, makes me laugh. The second paragraph is, unfortunately, true. Even I am trying to find a comfort zone here. By the time I began my sabbatical a couple of years back, the phenomonon you describe had already begun. Many of my friends were gone and more became treeish and distant. I tried to return about a year ago and found that the place felt almost foreign to me. This time, in part because at least a few old-timers have returned, it's a bit easier but it still takes some effort.

Good to see you're still here, Brinniel! Please give my fond regards to Amanaduial. She is one I miss.