View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #144
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Good arguments, Nog, about whether things are comparable or not. Of course if one chose to interpret "extraordinary" in a different way it would undermine everything. If we say it means "beyond ordinary" then the object must have an ordinary reference point and then surpass. But if we say "uncommon" then perhaps that which has no comparable moves to the forefront.

And honestly I like the second version, and as you can see with those I ruled out that is what I've been going with. And with that in mind...

Mithril is now out, as it is essentially super-silver. As cool as it is, it doesn't quite stand alone as much as I want it to.

I disagree with Thuringwethil being compared to Carcharoth however, as he is a Werewolf and she a vampire. Ever since encountering Thuringwethil for the first time all those years ago, I craved to learn more about her. I wished for her to be featured more prominently in a story. What did she look like? Did she shape-shift? Could she create more like her? What were her other duties and powers? I see her standing rather alone in Tolkien's works.

And yes indeed- the Void and the Music belong. I can tell you that my instinct is to favor something over nothing, particularly with music involved. But I'll leave this just a bit longer to see if anyone else wishes to hop in with something.