View Single Post
Old 07-11-2000, 02:20 PM   #1
Oliphaunt
Animated Skeleton

Oliphaunt has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Arien, Balrogs and wings.

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought I understood the argument about Balrogs and wings. They had wings (at least I think so) , but could not fly. It talks about Balrogs having wings, but nowhere does it say they ever flew anywhere. &lt;p&gt;
But this is not about having wings or not, this is about flying. No where does it say that balrogs flew, but after Ungoliant ate the trees of light, the Valar decided to make some new light. Anar and Isil were made the sun and the moon. &lt;p&gt;
Tilion was the maia who steered the moon, all it says about him was that he had a silver bow, and he was in the company of Orome.&lt;p&gt;
Arien was a maiden of the Valar. Here's a quote: &quot;...being from the beginning a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn in his service.&quot;&lt;p&gt;
The only other spirits of fire that were deceived and drawn into the service of Morgoth are balrogs. So, if balrogs can't fly, as many have concluded, how can Arien, the good counterpart of the balrogs cart the sun around everyday?
You might say that this can't be taken literally, but when you read how Morgoth tried to blacken the moon with smoke, and how Tilion got burned chasing Arien because she was so beautiful, it gets iffy...

</p>
Oliphaunt is offline   Reply With Quote