View Single Post
Old 08-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #143
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Sting

Castar bustled away from the face-painter with a piece of parchment some time after he went to the table, smiling merrily to himself and humming nothing in particular to himself. He had been forced to part with a few silver coins, but it was worth it to be able to show his father the translation.

He slowed and looked around for Windheneb. Windheneb was right where he had left him, chatting to a young jewelry-maker. He was smiling at her, holding one of the beaded necklaces she sold. When Windheneb saw Castar, he pardoned himself from the girl, taking the necklace with him.

"Do you think my sister will like this? Anaya gave it to me for free," Windheneb, said, excitedly.

"Anaya?" Castar looked at Windheneb.

"Oh...Anaya. The girl over there selling the jewelry," Windheneb said merrily as he moved on down the street. "Did you get your Elvish?"

"You remember all their names? And yes, I did, for your information. Aylwen showed me the way."

"And where is your little blossom of a friend?" Windheneb said, smiling at Castar teasingly, "And will I be invited to the wedding?"

"I am n-...well...erm...she's not my...gah!" Castar gave up on both trying to ward off Windheneb's teasing and attempting to keep stray strands of hair that he missed when pulling his hair back out of his face, "And do you want to know what the cloth says?"

"Sure...here, let me see," Winheneb took the paper. On the paper, the face-painter had written:

As the Ages pass and Mountains move,
One truth only shall remain eternal.
Love may fade or last, leaves fall or grow,
Yet this one truth shall be.
Fair kindred fall, eternal yet,
But lives not longer than this truth.
What remains, the wise may ask,
When all the Earth is gone?
Remember now the eternal truth,
That nothing, in fact, is eternal.

"It doesn't sound so nice translated," Windheneb said.

"My father will still love to see this, though," Castar said, smiling lovingly at the paper as he took it back and carefully stowed it in his pack.

The two walked back to their stands. They decided that they had enough of attempting to sell their wares for the day. Castar packed up what very little remained, most of which was broken. He would have to carry it to the Inn, as his horse was stabled for the night. Before Castar left, Windheneb came over again.

"Where will you sleep, friend?" Windheneb asked.

"I think I shall stay at the White Horse Inn," Castar said, "It is where I usually stay when I come here."

"Would you mind if I came with you for dinner at least?" Windheneb asked.

"Not in the least!" Castar said, joyous at the prospect of having company. They made their way over to the Inn.

They entered the Inn, and Castar looked around. The workers in the Inn seemed to be busy, even though the Inn was not nearly as crowded as it would be by the time full darkness fell. He spotted Aylwen bustling about, doing chores around the Inn.

"Aylwen," he called, blushing as she turned. She came over and hugged him, greeting him warmly, causing Castar to blush a deeper shade of purple.

"Oh, and hi, Windy!" Aylwen said, just as warmly to Windheneb. She turned back to Castar and inquired whether he would be staying in the Inn. Castar nodded, still a bit flushed, and Aylwen ran to check the registry to see what room would be available for Castar's use.

Aylwen smiled as she hurried past. Castar and Windheneb struggled to keep up while carrying Castar's things as they made their way up to the room.

"Do you need anything else?" Aylwen asked as she opened the door. Both men shook their heads "no". "Fine, then, I will let you boys be alone," Aylwen smiled as she shut the door.

"What do we do now?" Castar asked Windheneb. Windheneb just shrugged. The two sat on the bed, making light conversation, waiting to hear a bustle of patrons downstairs, in the hopes that they could later enjoy some merriment in the Inn that night.