View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 09:52 PM   #152
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Leofan, after giving his lesson to Anwir, left the boy for a few moments to practise his newly found skills and exited the stable. Crossing the yard, he entered the inn and saw Aylwen speaking to some newcomers. Her words were warm and her smile friendly and encouraging. Leofan once again felt grateful for the wonderful thing that had happened to his family as he approached Aylwen. "May I intrude for a moment?" he asked.

"Of course," Aylwen said, turning to Leofan. "What would you like?"

"I would only like to know if Frodides and my daughter are back yet," Leofan replied. "If Frodides doesn't need her, I'd like to bring young Mærcwen to the stable."

"I feel fairly sure she did," Aylwen replied. "I seem to recall seeing her enter the inn. She probably went into the kitchen."

"Thank you, miss," he said, and, after giving a little bow to Aylwen and the newcomers, departed towards the kitchen. Frodides was indeed there, washing some glasses and singing to Mærcwen, who was sitting on the counter watching her mother's every move with sparkling eyes. She was softly clapping her hands together, and humming along with her mother, occasionally singing a few lines before she slipped back into simply humming again. "She looked so sweet from her two white feet to the sheen of her nut brown hair..." Leofan stood silently until the song was ended, then applauded, though not too loudly, and went to the counter. Mærcwen sprang into his arms energetically.

"Would it be all right with you if I took this sweet little girl to the stable with me? I have a young lad that I am teaching the way with horses. He's grooming right now, but I can't stay and keep him company; there's too much work to do. Such a beautiful young girl as Mærcwen would keep him good company."

"Yes, you may take her," said Frodides, "though I'll miss her cheery face around here. But this boy you talk of might prefer no company at all after a few minutes of this girl's chatter."

Mærcwen smiled sweetly but did not answer, yet Leofan knew that no one could grow tired of her singsong voice and merry, freckled face. Setting her down on the ground at taking her hand, he led her out of the kitchen. As he passed Aylwen and the newcomers once again, he took note that they had both come into the stable briefly to put their horses away. I must speak with them later and see if there are any special instructions they'd like to give me as to the care of their horses, he thought. And I must have them introduce me to their steeds. They look like they are both fine beasts.

When he entered the stable again, Anwir approached him and informed him that he had finished grooming Mihtig, and the boy also glanced curiously at Mærcwen. Leofan went to Mihtig's stall and looked the stallion over, then nodded in satisfaction. "Well done, lad," he said. "You have natural talent in the care of horses." He directed Anwir to the stall of another horse, a mare, who Leofan had seen to be calm and gentle who would do the lad no harm.

"And, Anwir, this is my daughter Mærcwen," Leofan added before he turned away. "She's here to keep you company, since I'll be unable to do so myself. I still have much work to do." He turned his attention to his daughter and said, "Mærcwen, stay near Anwir, and don't go near any horse save this mare here and Mihtig without asking my permission first. And make certain not to go near that horse, there." He gestured to the horse of one of the newcomers. Not the bay, but the other. The mount of the Elven-looking woman. "I do not think he is unfriendly, but he seems to be an energetic horse, and I've already spoken with you about those."

Mærcwen assented in her sweet voice, and then she turned to Anwir and began asking him questions, never giving him enough time to answer before she asked another. Then, when she had finished all her questions, unheeding that she had received no answers, for indeed she had prevented the boy from answering, she began to chatter on about Mihtig, sometimes remaining silent long enough for Anwir to agree with her about how wonderful the stallion once. Smiling fondly at the two, Leofan turned to his work.

[ September 11, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]