View Single Post
Old 09-12-2003, 08:02 PM   #156
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Afternoon in Edoras began to defiantly fade away into dusk, fighting for sunlight as evening drew nearer. The shoppers in at the market finished buying their last-minute needs and desires before bustling on home. Soon after, many shopkeepers packed up their things and found a place to stay the night and rest for their trek home the next day. The White Horse Inn became busier and more crowded in no time at all, keeping the staff on their feet with little or no time to spare.

Aylwen had been speaking to a traveler looking for a place to stay, and had hardly gotten out, "How may I help you?" before Leofan had come in asking about Frododides. Aylwen had kindly told him where his wife was, and had proceeded to show the newcomer a room, and brought the traveler downstairs for a drink and some food.

Aylwen had shown several more customers the way to rooms or empty tables, and had taken a few orders to Froma before she was stopped by Castar and Windy. Aylwen had almost continued by them in hectic haste, but Castar had gently grasped her arm to stop her. When Aylwen had taken care of his question, she had politely apologized for not having enough time to speak with them. She felt slightly guilty as Castar and Windy sat down, but she was quickly jostled from her thoughts as worked called for her again.

"Aylwen!" Someone called, though the Assisstant Innkeeper could not quite see or tell who. "Another customer!"

Aylwen walked back to the entryway desk and was met with the face of yet another stranger. The strange woman's hair was the same dark color as Aylwen's, and the woman looked content and yet falsely confident.

"And how may I help you tonight?" Aylwen asked in a friendly manner, checking to see how many rooms were left for the night. The inn was filling up fast, and Aylwen could scarcely hear the hustle and bustle that was always heard in the kitchen over the noise in the main hall of the White Horse.

"I'm looking for a place to stay..."

"Well you're in luck, aren't you? We've got rooms to spare, so just follow me and I'll show you a room if you please..." Aylwen replied cheerfully, waiting for a nod from the woman. Aylwen led the woman to a smaller room that had been freshly cleaned by Delia that morning, and invited the woman downstairs for refreshment and good company. The woman agreed and took one of the few remaining seats in the main hall.

Aylwen, noticing that no one new had entered the Inn and knowing that someone would come to her if they had a problem, went over to where Castar and Windheneb were contentedly sipping their drinks and flirting with Delia (though it was mostly Windy doing the flirting, of course). Aylwen walked over and sat down next to Castar, smiling happily at her little break from work as Assisstant Innkeeper.

"Crowded tonight! Everything is fine, I trust?" Aylwen greeted breathlessly, noticing Castar folding and unfolding a small piece of parchment. Curious as to what it was, Aylwen ventured to ask. "What's that, Castar?"

"Oh, it is the translation that I had wanted for the cloth! The face painter translated it for me!" Castar replied merrily, unfolding the paper again and quickly rereading it. "Would you like to see it?" Castar asked, and when Aylwen nodded eagerly he handed the paper to her.

"As the Ages pass and Mountains move,
One truth only shall remain eternal.
Love may fade or last, leaves fall or grow,
Yet this one truth shall be.
Fair kindred fall, eternal yet,
But lives not longer than this truth.
What remains, the wise may ask,
When all the Earth is gone?
Remember now the eternal truth,
That nothing, in fact, is eternal...
"

Aylwen read, intrigued and slightly puzzled at the same time.

"I think it would have been better if we had just left it untranslated. Left it a mystery..." Windy muttered at Aylwen's recital, and yet the flirt continued to wink and smile at Delia when the girl walked by. Castar was past the point of noticing or commenting on Windy's ways, but listened for what Aylwen had to say about it.

"I'm not quite sure I understand it completely, but I still think it sounds beautiful. And I think it is better than never knowing what it means at all," Aylwen conveyed her thoughts, handing the parchment back to Castar. Suddenly curious about something else, Aylwen asked, "How long will you be staying in Edoras, Castar? Windy?"

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]

[ September 13, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]