View Single Post
Old 04-20-2003, 01:32 AM   #323
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gilly resisted the urge to snap back at Cami. She was, after all, her best friend’s mother, and Mistress Piosenniel’s closest friend. Instead, she stood up from Rose’s bed, stepped back, averting her eyes, and busied herself in making up her own bed. She managed a quick glance at Rose, who sat staring at the floor, saying nothing.

Cami spoke only briefly, then swept her mother-eyes about the room, missing nothing. Gilly’s pack sat innocently between the door and the tall dresser, her stout oak walking stick leaning against the door-jamb.

The silence in the room grew thick as the gravy in Cook’s rabbit stew. Gilly chafed under the tension. It prickled against her. She gave her shoulders a twitch as if to shake it from her, then stepped up near to Cami.

‘Begging your pardon, Mistress Cami, but we don’t know what Mistress Piosenniel and her Mister have planned. Whatever it is, it’s their own business, and they won’t be sharing it with the two of us.’ Her eyes slid over to Rose, then returned to Cami’s face. ‘With all due respect, it’s best you ask Mistress Piosenniel about her business.’

Gilly grabbed Rose’s hand, pulling her to her feet. The morning was wearing on, and they needed to be on their way if they were to catch up to Mithadan.

‘And now if you’ll excuse us, Rose has promised to go over some of the lessons she’s been giving in blade work with me and some of the locals . . .’

Child's post:

Cami did not believe a single thing Gilly was telling her. The girl's eyes were shadowed with deception, and her words rang hollow. Yet, the tone of her words reflected nothing evil, merely Gilly's boundless youthful determination to have her own way and avoid interference at any cost, especially interference by a parent.

Cami wondered if Gilly had left something unresolved behind her at home. But that was neither her business or concern. She focused intently on her own daughter. Rose kept her head down, unwilling to look up and meet her mother's eyes.

Cami understood she could put an end to all this by forbidding Rose from venturing out of the Inn. Her daughter might have grudgingly acceded to this demand. But Rose was no longer a child, and she deserved some measure of privacy and trust, even if she had her heart set on some madcap scheme.

If Pio had been forthright about where Mithadan was going, Cami might have turned back and confided in her. But Pio evidently had worries of her own, to say nothing of the birth of the twins that was slated to happen in just a few days.

With a heart burdened with worry, Cami forced herself to put her hand on the door and push outward, but then gave one last longing glance backwards over her shoulder. "Rose, be careful. Keep your sword with you at all times, even when you sleep. And may the Powers guide you on your path."

With that, Cami slammed the door behind her and stalked down the hall, glaring and speaking with no one. But inside, in her own head, she was carrying on a heated conversation. What have I done? If anything happens to Rose, I will never forgive myself....Secrets! I've had my fill of secrets. There are enough secrets floating around this Inn to last anyone a lifetime. With that, she headed back to her burrow, hoping to be able to speak with Maura.

[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]