View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #325
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The two young women waited until they saw Cami leave the inn and stalk off. Gilly mouthed a ‘sorry’ at Rose and shrugged her shoulders. She threw a few more items into her pack and picking up her walking stick, motioned for Rose to head down the stairs with her.

‘Let me stop and tell Mistress Piosenniel that we are going out for blade practice and will be gone most of the day.’ Rose wondered if the folks at the inn might begin to worry about them and send for the Shiriff if they didn’t return that evening.’

Gilly thought for a moment, then answered. ‘Your mother seems to have an idea of our intentions anyway. Let’s just leave a note with Hob to be given to her and to Mistress Piosenniel late tomorrow. It’ll be too late for anyone to follow, and we don’t have to say where we’re bound, only that we’ve gone to offer our aid to Mister Mithadan.’

Rose sat in the sunshine on the bench next to the kitchen door, waiting for Gilly to return from Pio’s quarters. Her brow was wrinkled as she thought how best to word the note. She wanted to reassure her mother that she would keep herself safe, but she could already see her mother’s worried look when she read between the lines.

Gilly burst into Pio’s rooms with barely a knock, calling the Elf’s name. Pio had apparently stepped out as no one answered. She was about to turn and exit from the room when she saw the maps on the wall. Curious, she stepped closer. ‘I wonder if this is where he is going?’ she thought to herself, seeing the area from the Inn to Bree-land on display.

Her foot bumped against the sheaf of maps that lay on the floor at the base of the wall. Squatting down, she leafed through them quickly, her eyes widening with delight at one small, less detailed one that showed the Eastfarthing in its entirety and the lands beyond to the Last Bridge. She rolled it carefully and stuck it in the waistband of her breeches.

‘I’ll apologize to her when I get back,’ she promised herself. ‘But right now, we have the greater need of it.’

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

The note was duly delivered to Hob by the two of them. He looked at them curiously, but promised to follow their instructions. He wondered, too, at their request for ponies to take on their ‘errands’, but kept his peace and helped them to saddle and bridle their mounts.

And then they were off, down the path from the Inn until it met with the Great Road. Then, they turned their ponies east . . .