View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 03:59 PM   #327
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After many very unpleasant threats from Old Stoat, Fosco had been allowed some limited freedom in the cave-cum-room that was his cell. Ferny was out on some other business and the other men he had seen about the place were either outside or with him. Stoatie had no feelings for the boy, just pleasure in upsetting his erstwhile employer. He tethered the child like a gypsy pony and finally ungagged him.

"S'long as Ferny's out yer can wander on that young'un. Give me a ounce of trouble and I'll knock each of yer teeth out one by one, got that?"

"I'm not afraid of you, you stinking wretch. My Daddy'll come and roast the both of you!" Fosco shreiked and aimed a kick at the old villain.

"Well, I'm not paid to feed yer, so I'll be off then. I've other work do round here besides be a nursemaid to halfling vermin." He swore a oath beneath his breath and turned to leave.

"Oi, Stoatie, that is your name isn't it? Mr Ferny wouldn't want me to starve now would he? He said last night how important I was. He even said I needed a playmate."

"He also said yer needed yer ears boxed yer varmit." Stoatie snapped from the doorway.

"But I haven't had a thing to eat since last night."

"So, neither 'ave I. I've a good mind to gag yer again."

"If you do I'll bite yer finger off."

Stoatie half laughed, half coughed. "I'll leave that job to Ferny shall I then young'un?"

Fosco ran forward on his tether to reach Stoatie and inflict whatever childlike damage he could. He rope stopped him short and he was spreadeagled upon the stone floor. Old Stoat laughed heartily at the winded boy.

"If I gave you owt to eat young'un yer'd throw it in me face so yer would. No Ferny can have that honour as well. I've given yer more freedom than my old dog used to have and she was less likely to bite than you are." Old Stoat left the Hobbit child in the windowless room with no light except the lantern on the table. Fosco was unafraid of the dark. He walked round in a circle as far as this bondage would allow. Near the back wall and well within his little territory he came upon a pile of bags and sacks such as would be packed upon a pony. Fosco began to search them to find something to break his bonds but destroyed everything he could along the way. He was cold, hungry and beginning to get more than a little scared but Fosco Muddyfoot was made of sterner stuff than many an adult, nevermind a Hobbit child.