View Single Post
Old 04-26-2003, 03:58 PM   #346
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

29 Nárië

Morning came early for the two Hobbits. Before the sun’s light peeked through the trunks of the trees surrounding their encampment, Mithadan and Bird were already up and speaking of their plans for the day. Mithadan was eager to be off. The sooner Bree was reached, the sooner this task could be finished.

Gilly raised up on one elbow from the depths of her bedroll, hoping to hear some sort of fire crackling nearby and the smell of breakfast or at least hot tea. But all that came to her were the low voices of the two Big Folk in the predawn silence.

‘Wake up, Rose,’ she whispered to her friend, reaching out a hand to poke the blanket-covered lump that lay next to her. ‘The others are up already, and you’ld better get up, too, before Mister Mithadan decides to go on and leave you here with me to go back to the Shire.’

The muffled grumblings of someone pulling themselves up from the comforts of sleep issued from beneath the blankets, followed by the tousled curls and then the head of Rose. She yawned, and sat up, throwing back the blankets.

Bird motioned them over to where she and Mithadan sat. Way-bread and some dried fruit were handed round, followed by a skin of brook water to wash it down. ‘Best get your bedrolls squared away as soon as you’re finished,’ said Mithadan, pulling his pack toward him. ‘We’ll leave when you do.’ He fished around in the side pocket of the pack, and grunted in affirmation when his hand found what it sought.

‘Gilly, here is a small knife for you to use. And here is a bit of food.’ He handed her a small packet of bread and fruit and a few nuts. ‘It’s all that we can spare. You did bring a skin for water, did you not.’ He grinned when she shook her head ‘yes’. ‘Well, at least you two were somewhat prepared.’

Rose and Gilly sat together quietly and hurried through their meager rations. Mithadan had loaded the ponies by the time they had finished, while Bird went to scout the way ahead.

Breakfast done, Rose fastened Gilly’s cloak for her and gave her friend a farewell hug. ‘Keep safe, Gilly. I’ll see you when I return.’ Gilly returned the embrace, saying, ‘And you stay safe, too, Rose. I’ll tell the twins you’ll come soon to see them.’

Mithadan held the reins of Gilly’s pony for her as she mounted. ‘Tell Piosenniel I will return soon to her and our children. Be watchful and cautious, Gilly.’ He handed her the reins, slapping the pony smartly on its hindquarters.

He watched her for a moment as she headed west; then turned, and without a further look back, headed east once again . . .