View Single Post
Old 04-29-2003, 01:39 PM   #357
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

30 Nárië

‘Come on, Nettle. It’s only a little bit further. I want to get back tonight if we can.’ Gilly spoke encouragingly to the little pony, but to no avail. Nettle, never one for protracted periods of activity, balked, slowed down to a snail’s pace, and finally halted all together. She limped to the side of the road and began pulling at the tufts of grass and lovely dandelions that grew in abundance beneath the arching trees.

Gilly walked on down the path, hoping that the pony would be inclined to follow her. It was a vain hope, as Nettle eyed her curiously, once, and then returned to her grazing. The Hobbit trudged back to where the pony stood and sat down on a stump, prepared to wait out the stubborn animal.

She must have fallen asleep, she thought. The sun’s light was now from a decidedly western slant as her eyes flickered open, and there was something poking her sharply in the back, as she lay on her side. Strange, she thought, but try as she might with her hand she couldn’t seem to brush the offending object from her back.

‘Are you going to lie there all afternoon, Gilly? I do not relish the thought of having the babies here in the road.’ Pio nudged her once more in the back with the toe of her shoe.

Red-faced, the Hobbit scrambled to her feet and faced the Elf. Pio looked down at her, an amused look on her face. ‘Mithadan told me you were on your way; I came to meet you.’ She looked to where Nettle stood, obviously favoring one of her legs. ‘Just in time, too, I see. It looks as if your mount is in need of some coaxing and you could use a ride . . . yes?!’

Gilly shoved the question of just how Mister Mithadan had ‘told’ Mistress Piosenniel to the back of her mind. She could ask that later. Instead, she filled the Elf in on the events of the past two days, and thanked what lucky stars she had that Pio had the foresight to come with the cart for her.

They tied Nettle’s reins to the back of the cart, and plodded slowly back to Bywater. Gilly was afraid that Pio would be angry with her for running off, but the Elf spoke kindly to her, drawing her into a conversation on last minute things to be done before tomorrow.

It was late in the evening by the time they returned to the Inn. Hob unhitched the ponies and took them both to the stable, clucking his tongue over poor Nettle’s hoof.

[ April 29, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]