View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 11:25 AM   #81
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I hope my god daughter doesn't feel like that about me ..... but I have the advantage of having been very young (to be a godparent) when she was born and so being between her and her parents in age..... I was so happy that she liked Lord of the Rings (even to the point that I don't grudge too much her having so much of my stuff in her custody ....dvds, CDs books..... and I took her to the LOTR exhibition in London last year)... the relationship I have with her is about the best thing in my life.... and I feel privileged that she lets me in to her life a bit - given that she is a perfectly normal teenager with all that usually entails for communication with people over twenty....... it keeps me young.....

But yes.... it is a strain keeping everything "light, bright and polite" for work etc..... phatic language all day every day..... I mean you might as well admit to spending your evening torturing small furry animals as admitting a fondness for opera..... I once did find a mainstream newsagent that sold "Opera " but it was on the top shelf with the magazines for those with less cerebral predilictions..... mind you some modern stagings can be a bit risque.....

Even in and undergrad lit class, I received a filthy look for saying that Vivaldi wasn't a classical composer but baroque .... ok..maybe that is a bit pedantic.... but....

Maybe I should go back to France... wonder if I can remember how to speak the lingo..... but the consequences for my liver could be dire.... .

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote