Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #155
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
But why should some have to suffer, or suffer more, than others? Because they are more in need of spiritual development? Why was Frodo chosen for the Quest and not Merry or Pippin, or Rosie Cotton? Why should children have to suffer before they have had a chance to grow physically and mentally, let alone spritually? I don't buy it. And that's why Eru, for me, is not God.
That would take us quite far off topic, I think, so I'll keep it ultra-brief. Too brief.

One: Suffering can be a free-will offering, as Sharon has described. That's one reason for it.

Two: The other 'reason' for suffering is somebody else's sin-- for instance, Hitler's sin caused a lot of suffering. Likewise, Sauron's sin caused a lot of suffering. Hence the commands not to sin.

At which point the question arises, why did God allow Hitler to do what he did, and why did Eru allow Sauron to do what he did?? Bottom line: free will is truly free. Man is free to be a monster if he so chooses, and monsters cause suffering. If we go against Eru the music is nasty. He works it all towards a good end, but it's nasty nonetheless.

I think no matter how many times we go around on this, Sharon's and my opinions will differ significantly from yours, Saucie.....

Cheers.