Thread: Decorating Room
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #69
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
THis shouldn't have taken me so very much by surprise but it hit me that since (as a mom) I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I should make that a place where I am happy. Elvish. Sparkly, viny, leafy.... tendrils, stars, silver lamps? Ideas? Has anybody decorated their kitchen in a middle-earth manner, and what did you do?

I would, once, have decorated as if it was Bag-End. But I think now I am looking for the kitchen in Lorien, or perhaps the kitchens in Mithlond...

What would an elvish kitchen LOOK like?

Wouldn't there be several elven styles of kitchen? Assuming that they eat more than just lembas, of course. The flets of Lothlorien don't lend themselves to large ovens, so I would think of something that would include small portable stoves, or even bbqs at the base of the trees and earthen ovens on the ground. Rivendell would be less "en air" as it were and possibly would have large formal kitchens where vegetables would be cleaned and a wall for hanging herbs to dry. But where to place the slaughtering house for chickens, rabbits, other fowls, and larger animals--unless elves are vegetarians. Mirkwood I think would have heavy beamed kitchens, maybe even smokey and dark, real old fairy tale kitchens. And would they have an ice room, lacking modern electrical refrigeration or would there be some elven high art for that? But honestly, I cannot imagine a sort of upstairs/downstairs arrangement for any elven home.

And as for basement, well, one could lay stone on top of cement if one didn't want to go Raefindel's delicate route of painting. But as for

Quote:
something less mannish and more elvish
I can't help but think of Gilgalad and the long line of elven warriors and wondering what their homes were like. Or did they live in tents like many an army does? Then their laundry facility would be outdoor clothes lines, no?

Just a few thoughts.