View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #106
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Yes, the two month period was intentional. What required us to do this was simply the practical demands of travel. There is a note earlier in the discussion thread in which I calculated rates of travel. In this note I did not even include the additional miles that the slaves would have to travel to get down to the southern mountain range, which would have added on extra days. It would take at least two months for the slaves to go to the southern mountain range, for a merchant to convey their message over to Minas Tirith and for the fellowship itself to travel from Minas Tirith to the caves where the slaves were.

I think it's excellent if you want to talk to other posters and establish your character's relationship with them prior to the game. I also suspect that some of this will come about quickly once the posts start going up--characters reaching out to other characters. Either way is fine. The only point that everyone will need to be careful about is not to post as if their slave just wandered into camp five days ago.

Yes, Durelin and I discussed the fact that the Orcs actually seemed "healthier" than some of the slaves. Maybe it's partially our own perception of what orcs and humans should be. It doesn't seem odd that an orc would say he routinely "bashed " other orcs and people. Plus, the orc does not feel particularly guilty about this. He's just doing what orcs do naturally!

We react more strongly when we see a human slave striking out physically at other slaves out of the blue. Our brains label the action as "wrong", indicative of some underlying problem. Humans just aren't "supposed" to do that.

It's almost like differences in gender that still exist in the society even today. When a young boy gets in a fist fight, we often rationalize it with "boys will be boys". When a girl does the exact same thing, we look at that a bit more askance. Girls aren't "supposed" to fight like that.

Anyways, the fellowship members will have a lot of fun figuring out how to react/respond not only to the orcs but also to the slaves. Their life has been so much harder than most of the members of the fellowship. It will be interesting to see how relationships develop.

Nogrod - go ahead and do your revisions tomorrow. Durelin is still working on the order of the posts.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 06-29-2006 at 07:26 PM.