View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #88
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, new gamers are much fewer...and I guess I was trying to figure out a reason "why," if there is one. Ah, yes, I did forget that...it seems a possibility that the games, though they are definitely open to everyone, the RPGs on here might seem daunting to new players. Yes, that is their problem, I agree...people have to jump in. And I think it has been made as easy as possible for them to do so.

Really I suppose it's just the fact that we have fewer RPers these days and so there are fewer games. That is also related to what I was trying to say when I was talking about people getting bored: newer gamers often aren't satisfied by simply playing in the Inn, and want to get into a game.

Estelyn is right about "The Seventh Star." And I do wish I spent more time in the "Inns" in general. Unfortunately I'm attracted by the prospect of new game storylines and character possibilities involving death and destruction that you can't have in the Inns...I fail! Besides, I'm trying to keep my emo characters away from the cheery hobbit-filled Golden Perch...yes, that's it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
The Shire is very labor intensive for the moderators. It’s the place where gamers (players & leader/proposers) can get the most assistance from us as they learn to game using the BD process. Some gamers enjoy that sort of hands on approach by management; some after a few games played and run want to try their own skills at managing a character or the running of a game. By the time one is considered by us ready to game in Rohan, I expect them to have a thorough grasp of the rules for gaming. Games are less moderated there (at least that is my expectation, goal, ideal).
I really like this description of the supposed "moving up." I personally don't view "moving up and moving on" as the goal, but I think it's easy for people to see it that way. I think the Rohan Gamers vs. Rohan Game Owners list is helpful, but I also think it can be harmful. It's not like your name is on a plaque, but, again, it can easily be seen that way. Perhaps part of less moderating in Rohan could be less moderating by the moderators in determining specifically who may and may not join games in Rohan (starting games is another matter). Maybe it should just be successfully playing in at least one Shire is required, and then whether or not a player who has met that simple requirement is actually ready to play in a game is up to the game owner's discretion, though the game owner obviously still will have to give way to the moderators' decision if they feel they need to step in?

I really don't see it as a big issue at all; I just had the thought, so I put it down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
To be honest, I like those games where there is some basic location/history/plot starter and the players, through their characters, determine by the course of their writing what happens at the end.
I agree! Such a game takes even more cooperation, more really playing together than just writing a character's part of the story. Obviously there can be problems, but...not if you can pull off that cooperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
have to disagree about this game. I think it’s more difficult to write a quality parody RPG. But I think the players have succeeded so far. And I do feel, when I read the game, that it is character driven.

Can’t say what the next installment will be like. We’ll have to wait and see on that.
Again, I did not mean to criticize the game, or make any comment on past installments. I agree that it is much more difficult to write good parody (particularly since, if parody is even slightly bad, it is just...well, pretty painful), and the invitation-only basis makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
Another one of my bugaboos --- using another player’s character. And the only time I think it should be done is if the two players have arranged beforehand that one’s character can be written for by the other. I don’t think it right to do it “to move the plot along” and then say “sorry, I used your character a little; tell me if I need to edit”. Geez, I can feel all those players cringing in remembrance of PM’s from me about this”no-no”.
Yes...I don't very often actually get upset at all about people using my character, but I'd rather they didn't. (I do recall one time getting extremely upset when a character, though I agreed to have him killed, was killed off hastily and barely mentioned in a post...*shudders*) I'd also much, much rather not use anyone else's characters even a bit...and of course, I say that, but have been guilty of using and borrowing characters right and left in RPGs. I try not to use them too much, but, particularly when I am a game manager and I feel like the plot and driving it along is what people expect, I find myself doing that more. I think I need to rethink my playing and managing style in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
Couldn’t agree with you more.....as a player, that is. On the other hand, as a moderator, there seem to be a number of game proposers/leaders as well as players that really like the idea of plot driven writing.
And I like the idea of plot driven writing quite a bit, too, and am certainly not adverse to writing in a plot driven story. But I also really want to write in a character driven RPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio
So what could we do about that? Perhaps a disclaimer of sorts at the start of a discussion thread on how the game’s proposer feels he/she wants the game to be played? That way gamers who don’t relish this sort of writing/playing can opt out of considering the game. Don’t know how this would work. And of course, those proposers who are wanting more character driven games can make their own intentions known.
Yes, I think it would help, at least. And that's all it needs to do. Nogrod makes an excellent, excellent point...perhaps the point underlying everything I've rattled on about: communication. Perhaps that is what we are lacking. Not communicating about specific games - well, we all know those discussion/planning threads get their use! - but just communication about this whole RPing thing in general. I think this should be part of the communication on discussion threads, and perhaps is overlooked. (I know I overlook it...I get too caught up in the details a lot, that I fail to see the bigger picture. Of course, I've also been known to get stuck in the reverse.)

Pio's suggestion of communication regarding what "RPing" is in terms of a specific game has got to be a good thing.

And Nogrod - No one was upset with you! I know I was just a tad frustrated because I had trouble seeing things from your angle, and then expressing my own view. This is all difficult to talk about.

Thanks for listening to me, and for this discussion. It's great to have!

I am very pleasantly surprised to find that I have successfully communicated an idea, Nogrod! Thank you!

*continues to proudly display her nerd-dom...

-Durelin
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote