View Single Post
Old 10-13-2002, 03:33 AM   #199
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She had made it to the black bannered ship. A cursory glance told her it was the same one she had boarded earlier - her strip of red material was still tied to it. She marked that the ship did not seemed to have changed its position at all.

Pio stopped for a moment and drew into the shadows of the tree roots along the opposite bank. She breathed deeply and rested, floating amid the tangles. The rest was not to a long one. The cold began to creep in as her level of activity decreased. She took another deep breath and pushed on.

Another few miles up river, and Pio could feel the fatigue start to burn in her muscles. She thought to rest a while again, and was heading toward the shallows, when something nudged her in the ribs from below. The Elf whirled in the water, following the form that had touched her, as it broke the surface and turned toward her, and dived beneath the water again. Knife in hand, she awaited its approach, senses alert.

The moon glinted off her raised blade. The attacker halted its approach. A familiar head broke the water and grinned at her, approaching slowly. 'By the One!' hissed Pio at Bird. 'I was ready to gut you had you come any nearer!' She grinned back at her old friend and secured her knife. 'How did you know I was coming?' 'I just knew.' said Bird, looking uncomfortable. 'Pio looked at her friend closely and nodded. 'I see!' she said.

'You see nothing!' The dolphin slapped the water with her tail in irritation. 'Do you want a ride or not?!' she said, changing the topic.

Pio sighed in deep appreciation and held fast to the dolphin's dorsal fin. They flew through the water, soon reaching the banks of the river within the caverns. 'There is someone waiting on the bank there.' whispered the Elf. Her hand went to her knife and she sought the darkness along the edge of the bank.

Bird drew herself up onto the bank and changed back to neeker-breeker form. Pio watched as the figure bent to carry her to his shoulder. He cocked his head as if listening to Bird, then walked nearer the Elf. 'Piosenniel!' he called. 'Come! I have brought blankets for you and something warm to drink.'

She came warily to the river's edge and looked the figure over. It was a hobbit, and he did indeed carry blankets and a mug in his hands. She stowed her knife and climbed from the river. Bowing slightly toward him she accepted the blankets and drew them tight around her, then took the mug and sipped at the warm liquid appreciatively.

'How is it that you know me?' she asked. 'And I do not know you?' The hobbit smiled. 'I am Loremaster. I know of you, but never thought to meet you. It was Bird who told me you were coming.' Pio was silent for a moment, then looked at Bird, her eyebrows raised. 'Indeed?! Well met then, Loremaster.'

She stretched out her hand and bade Bird come to her, placing her on her own shoulder. 'I have come to see the outlay of the prison.' she said to Loremaster. 'I cannot stay long. So, if you will, I would like to go with Bird now and scout the area.'

'As you wish, Piosenniel.' replied the hobbit. 'But when you are done I would ask that Bird bring you to a meeting we are having concerning our plans for the intended rescue.'

Pio thought for a moment. 'I will come. It should not take me long to fix a map of this place in my head. Then Bird will bring me back to you. Again, I cannot stay long. Someone waits for me to bring me back to the Star.'

They left Loremaster and began Pio's tour of the prison. She walked the perimeter, silently in the shadows, noting all the entrances and all the guards. When they had come almost full circle she walked through the compound where the Guard Headquarters were. She estimated the number of sleeping men within the huts, then went silently to the armory. Her nimble fingers and her knife blade soon had a side door open and she passed within, taking stock of all the weapons there. Back at the river, they passed quickly up the tunnel to the interior. Pio noted the layout of the main cave and the position of the old tombs and new tombs areas. Her main objective, the Locks, was the last place they came to. There was a guard at the entrance, and for a brief moment the Elf considered killing him, that she might enter the Locks and take out Daisy. Bird hissed at her in a small tinny voice, and shouted 'No!' in her ear. Pio steped away from the entrance, and at Bird's bidding, they went back to find the meeting Loremaster had asked her to attend.

He had waited for her near the door to it. 'I thought I should be here to bring you in. They have no idea that you are coming. Allow me to go first, and I will introduce you.'

She nodded her assent, and followed after him.