View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 02:13 PM   #16
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So that means we are settled with this system:

[ ] Normalized, usually used for proper names indicating they are here in final form, not as in original text. Eg. "[Huor]" probably represents an original "Peleg", "[nor]thward", represents original "southward", and "[']" represents original """.
< > Material inserted from secondary source. If more than one secondary source occurs in the passage then a code appears after the opening angle-bracket, eg. "<QS77 ".
{ } Material to be deleted.
Underline Material inserted for grammatical reasons or as editorial bridge.
/ / Material altered in accordance with our principle 6c; mostly used for expansion of outlines. In this case, I will show the deletion of the original as well; for example: {Coming thither of Elwing}/Elwing came thither/.

Each change is designated with something of the form XX-YY-ZZ where XX is the chapter/project code (so FG = Fall of Gondolin, RD = Ruin of Doriath, etc.), YY indicates the section (and this division is arbitrary and can be defined simply as the chunk of text a person is making changes to - so in FG we have "TG" for "Tuor in Gondolin", "A" for the attack, "C" for the closing portions), and ZZ is the number of the change.

If we want to add a new change in between two existing changes, we can assign a decimal value to the number code, so that the changes remain sequential. Thus if I propose a change between XX-YY-05 and XX-YY-06 I could call it XX-YY-05.5. If someone proposes another change after 05 but before 05.5 it could be called XX-YY-05.3 (or XX-YY-05.4, etc.). There is a continuous infinity of real numbers between any two numbers, so we shouldn't run out of them.

Base = LQ 2
XX-01:XX-02:XX-03:Base = Q 30
XX-04:Etc.

What we are going to do is the master-list of abbreviations.
I think we should look into the HoME volumes to see what Christopher Tolkien created. I think we had to ad only a small number after taking his abbreviations up.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote