View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White-Hand Of course he knows who I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Ah, but if you're Bono, you simply cannot conceive of the notion that there is a single living soul on the planet whose musical tastes don't run to U2. Remember the iTunes download debacle a couple of years ago?
You're quite right, Nerwen. This belief of, 'Of course he knows who I am!' can quickly become, in the hands of certain celebrities, 'Don't you know who I am?'

There is a related story to this, with an Oxford connection. According to one account of a master of Balliol College, Oxford:

He was returning one day from his constitutional ride on his quiet old cob along the Abingdon road. When he came to the turnpike he felt in his pocket for some money. Alas! he had none.

"My good man," said he, "I am Master of Balliol College, and you must let me pass."

"I don't care," was the man's reply, "what you be master of; you ain't master of twopence, and you can't go through my gate."

(Francis T. Buckland, Curiosities of Natural History, Second edition, I, (London: Richard Bentley, 1868), p. 291.)

I wish more people dealt with celebrities in the way that gatekeeper did!
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote