View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 07:38 AM   #16
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
But the one thing I do agree with you guys on is the power of the Ring is TOO MUCH. This just does not work for me. Without bombadil, we are neglecting to show that the power of the Ring is not all over powering. Bombadil can wear it without being affected, and can see Frodo when he wears it - it shows us that Evil cannot totally prevail - but becasue PJ and the scriptwriters have made the ring too powerful, we are not allowed to see this.
I disagree. I don't think Jackson really heightens the power of the ring at all. We do get a several cases (in the movies when the ring's temptation is actually resisted).

Bilbo- giving it up at Bag End
Gandalf- "Don't tempt me Frodo!"
Boromir- On Caradhras= "Give the Ring to Frodo."
Galadriel- "I passed the test."
Faramir- Letting Frodo go. Though he does initially fall, I will argue at the proper time that he was more influenced by his Father than by the Ring.
Sam- Gives Frodo the Ring back in Cirith Ungol

Also, later, what a surprise...I'm going to compare Sam and Boromir as Jackson makes a connection with them and pairs them together throughout the movies.

But, back on track. So, we do have a several instances where the Ring is actually resisted. Though I think it appears that Jackson shows the Ring affecting Frodo (and Boromir too) earlier than I found in the books, I think there are several cases that show the Ring can be resisted and isn't this all-powerful, corrupts everyone force.