View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #9
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Quote:
Just a quick question. I was reading FOTR today, when I came across the statement: "You cannot pass. I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass.
The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn.
Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."
I was just wondering what the Flame of Udun and Anor were? I would be most appreciative if you could help me out, as I don't have my Silmarillion with me! Thanks again.
Anor:The name for the Sun in the Sindarin language. It appears in many names, including Minas Anor, the original name for Minas Tirith, meaning 'Tower of the Setting Sun'. It is also seen in the flower-name elanor, 'sunstar', and the title Gandalf claimed for himself on the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, 'wielder of the flame of Anor'.

Udûn:
Quote:
"The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow!"
The Sindarin name of Utumno, the fortress of Melkor in the far north of the World. It was the first and greatest of Melkor's citadels, delved in the earliest days, the home to hosts of demons and monsters. From Udûn, Melkor troubled the world for millennia. From there, he destroyed the Lamps of the Valar, so that Powers left Almaren, their dwelling-place in Middle-earth, and removed into the West. At the time of the awakening of the Elves, though, the Valar attacked Udûn in full force, and destroyed it utterly, carrying its master back to Valinor as their prisoner.

The name Udûn is much less common as a name for Melkor's fortress than the equivalent Utumno. In The Lord of the Rings it appears just once, in Gandalf's quote given above. It survived, though, as a name for the northern valley of Mordor that lay behind the Morannon. No doubt Sauron chose this name in memory of his ancient master's greatest stronghold.

I hope this helps Naldoriathil [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]