View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 AM   #140
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Kórpulfr

Kórpulfr wore a satisfied grin as he and his companions left the docks. He listened idly as his young kinsmen discussed their preparations for this evening’s meal. Only Hasrim remained silent, brooding over his young master’s decision, as he directed the cart through the busy streets towards the market place. Hasrim had filled the role of bodyguard for as long as he could remember and they almost never agreed when it came to his personal safety, but when it came to it he would trust no other. Korpulfr was no stranger to threats and the occasional failed assassination; it came hand in hand with his position. Disgruntled traders, opportunistic Corsairs, greedy fat cat Lords even Lord Falasmir’s astute trade minister, they all had their reasons to see him disposed of, but Hasrim always saw to it that they never got the opportunity. For this, he was truly grateful; he knew that he constantly made his cousin’s job more difficult than it need be.

As they pulled up to The Raven’s Nest, he jumped down from the cart followed closely by Hasrim and his three helpers, who immediately began unloading the rest of the cargo and taking it in to the Maenwaith trade store. “You do realise that if the Northerner’s know of Falasmir’s plans they may use tonight to make a run for it!” Hasrim whispered beside him as they looked over the delivery manifest. “Yes, that thought had crossed my mind,” he answered without looking up from the parchment. “Then we will have to pray to the great hunter that they are still oblivious to Lord Falasmir’s plans.” Hasrim answered, but Korpulfr could not miss the hint of doubt in the astute mans voice. He was well aware of the consequences should the Northerners escape while in his company, he could only hope that Wyrma held some influence over the quick tempered Lord, should things go awry. “She will not protect you if it does not benefit her!” Hasrim answered dryly guessing the young mans thoughts, “let me take secondary precautions, should the worst happen, let us make it seem that the fault was with Falasmir’s guards and not with our household! “ Korpulfr thought over his words then nodded, “But I do not wish to appear hostile in front of our guests, I need them to think we are friends if I am to find out why they enquire about our kin.” Hasrim nodded his understanding then left to do some enquiring of his own.

Korpulfr was pleased to see that Asrim was already in the store, he needed to have words with his cousin before heading up to the palace to let Tinar know of the recent developments. The middle-aged Maenwaith businessman, stood pouring over a ledger in his left hand and adding to it with the quill in his right, but at his cousin’s entry, he looked up and beckoned him to join him. Asrim unlike Hasrim was a little more flexible and open minded, but never slow to offer his help or advice if he thought it needed, and even on occasion when it was not. In this way the older man acted as his advisor and it was Asrim he would go to if he had any indecisions, or if something troubled him. “So did it go well?” Asrim asked, continuing to make his adjustments to the accounts, as Korpulfr leaned on the counter across from him. “it went as well as could be expected, though there was a little trouble at the docks with some of Falasmir’s men, but no more than heated words, which Hasrim quickly defused.” he answered unconcerned. “Hmm, yes, I did hear that our esteemed Lord was having the shipments examined, in fact I have had irate traders bending my ear all morning. As if I could do anything about it!” he groaned. “But I did managed to find out the majority of the Gondorians cargo… now were did I put that list?” he said searching through the parchment that lay on the counter, “Here we are!” he exclaimed handing him the carefully written list.

Korpulfr could feel Asrim watching him as he looked over the list of wares purchased by the captain and his crew. “Rather light wouldn’t you say?” Asrim ventured. “Hmm, Hasrim is not going to like this news,” he frowned shaking his head. “Hasrim” Asrim exclaimed puzzled by this reply. Looking up from his musings, he studied the older man trying to guess if his reaction would match that of Hasrim’s, or if the astute businessman would see the potential to make a profitable gain. “I invited the Captain and his first mate to join us for dinner tonight.” He was pleased to see that Asrim did not immediately object, as Hasrim had done, though he did not fault his guard his misgivings, he thought only for his safety and the safety of their household. Were as Asrim thought also of their pockets and of how deeply he could fill them. “This presents a wonderful opportunity to set up a more substantial trade agreement between our two peoples, which could prove advantageous once Wyrma’s city is established.” Asrim answered lowering his voice to a conspiratorial whisper, but seeing his cousin’s amused grin, his features became sterner, “But I do see Hasrim’s concern, should anything go wrong tonight, Falasmir will hold you accountable.” Rubbing his temples Korpulfr had to agree. “Hasrim is already making plans to see that that does not happen, but I too have some ideas of my own,” he told Asrim contemplatively.

“Is there any deliveries for the palace?” he asked after a moments thought. “Yes” his cousin replied, “The palace kitchens sent a messenger with an order this morning.”

“And is this order ready?” Korpulfr asked.

“Yes, it’s on a cart out the back, I was planning to deliver it once I was finished here, “Asrim answered, frowning at his cousin’s seemingly sudden change in conversation.

“I’ll take it, I was planning to drop in on Tinar anyway, perhaps I will even invite the young man to join us for dinner, he did seem thoroughly disappointed that he could not come to the ship with me this morning, perhaps this will make up for that loss, what do you think?” he finished with an impish grin. Asrim only shook his head and laughed. With Tinar among their company if anything should go wrong, then Wyrma would be forced to intervene, well that was their hope, but if not they always had Hasrim’s plan, what ever that turned out to be.

After instructing Asrim to send his young helpers home to inform the kitchen of their additional guests and to spread the news of their guests among the Maenwaith traders, he hitched up Asrim’s cart and headed towards the palace. Once there he let the palace staff unload his cart and went to find his young friend.

Last edited by Nerindel; 03-19-2004 at 09:35 AM.