View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 02:00 PM   #114
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

THIS REVISED POST IS NOW ON THE GAME

Liol grew almost motionless when she pointed towards two guards appearing and coming in their direction

Brytta hid Heldor and arrived when the riders were just about to unmount their horses. The others had set up a 'made-up' camp. The camp didn't really look like a camp, but Liol an the others tried to be as convincing as possible. The riders gazed at them, looking for something they could use against them. "My three friends and I expected to make it to Halef’s holding by mid-afternoon today, but now it looks as if we won’t limp in until tomorrow."

“Your three friends, is it?” asked one of the guards, having a threatening tone. “We have been riding steadily this way ourselves.” It was Aldwulf who spoke. "We came down through there. Five riders is what we counted. Where is your other companion?" asked the guard seriously, while haveing a stiff look in his eyes.

Liol felt a pain in her stomach; this was definitely going the wrong way. She couldn't see how they were getting out of this one. They knew they had been five, how was it then possible to fool them?

"What can I say? There are only four of us. Perhaps it was just a shadow or a miscount – the trees are thick up there, our figures must have been cut from your sight as we passed along." Aldwulf continued.

Liol stared at the guard, looking suspiciously at her and the others. "You, Milady, can you tell me what's going on?" the guard asked while pressing his lips together making it small and thin; just like a thread. Liol went all red, am I to speak, she thought.

"Well," she said in a frustrated voice. Liol couldn't breathe. What was she to say? The lady had no idea. And the warning looks from her travelling fellows didn't exactly help.

"The fifth man you saw, was.." she made a pause breathing like tired horse who had galloped for hours. An idea popped into her head and she said in a determined voice: ”It was my husband," she said, getting a glance of the others reactions. Brytta looked the most stunned, but Rochil was right behind, stirring down in the earth, trying not to laugh. Liol gave him a glare before the guard spoke again:" Then why did he leave?" The other guard laughed, thinking he had her, the place he wanted her; no escape.

"Well, his mother is sick, and I am going to my reletives, and he rode after me to say that, his mother had passed away," she answered, faking a couple of tears. The guard looked surprised at the lady. "Now, will you please let us do our business." she continued looking quite harsh at the harassing guard.

The man gave her a warning but also a pityful look, before seating himself on the horse again. "No trouble then?" he asked. Liol gave a nod saying: "You are a good man." But a stupid one too, Liol thought while turning around to the others.

As the guards disappeared, Brytta went to fetch Heldor. Rochil was the first to brake into laughter, Liol followed. "Guards are so stupid," she burst out. The others nodded. "I think the husband thing was funnier, though," Rochil cried out. The lady watched the man while he laughed. "Is it that impossible for you to imagine me, having a husband? I might have one in the future, you know" she snapped. "Am I that ugly?" she continued. Liol felt the rage inside of her just grow and grow. The man stared at her, quiet now. "But I didn’t mean...I didn’t.." he said quickly.

Brytta appeared with Heldor at the same time, and before Rochil could say more, Liol ran over to them.

It was really quiet when they continued, none said a word. Had Liol been too hard on him? Yeah, the lady thought. She had let her temper control her, and now, she was full with regret. The shield maiden rode right ahead of him, but she didn't look back. Liol was too ashamed.

Please let me know if it needs changes, it probably does, so don't hesitate to bring it up!

*nova* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

[ July 30, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]

[ July 31, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]