View Single Post
Old 06-23-2002, 06:03 PM   #35
Kalla
Haunting Spirit

Kalla has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting questions Jessica. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] At that same point, Sam wakes and accuses Gollum of being what he always has been and what was left of Gollum's humanity at that moment flies back into hiding. This is something that I've talked a lot about with my friends, the self fulfilling prophecy. If others expect us to always be evil...we are more likely to continue to be so, but if we are surrounded by love and forgiveness, we are much more likely to strive to better ourselves. As for the serial killer going free...I think most people could come to terms with that eventually because they would focus on the lives they saved. There is no right or wrong answer in that situation and there is definately no good answer. I personally do not think I could live with myself, at least not live and be happy. Personally, I have seen mercy or just a simple gesture of kindness completely change a person, so yes, I believe that that is possible. It is up to each person to decide what they do with their lives from that point, but it is up to each person to decide wether they continue on their paths of good or change for better or worse. You cannot know, because we cannot see the future that clearly. After you see enough death and torment, I don't think you can really bring yourself to take a life except in the heat of a mortal battle. I just wish there was justice in this world to truly help those deemed evil...perhaps one day. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I will say this however, I think it IS possible for us on earth to understand a creature like Gollum...firstly, that's what we're discussing. Second, all it takes is a similar experience, not necessarily the same one. We may not have a ring and dark lord, but there are wars and evil enough that exist for us to understand how difficult it is to resist the easy way out of a situation or to resist the temptation to get what we want. I do feel some people are more open and adept at seeing people than others, but that I think is a matter of observation more than anything. If it's not a priority for you or you don't notice people's reactions, you probably will have trouble understanding them. I dunno, I guess I'm a hobbit in the sense that I think we often make things more complicated than it is and in coming to understand others I feel this is often the case. *shrug* Just my opinion though, so...lol, please let me know what you think. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Between work and school I have no life, so don't usually get to talk about the "deeper" things..hehe.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Kalla is offline   Reply With Quote