View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeRaL sHaDoW
i dont get this what is the point of having fell beasts if they are not going to use them as major items of war???
In the books, the Nazgul are like the opposites of Gandalf - they discourage. Their weapon is fear; others wield the swords, hammers, axes and bows. But these material things are not enough. Only by overcoming the will of the defenders can Minas Tirith be taken. However, the Black Riders' steads are mortal and can be slain, as when Legolas plunks one from the air on the way to the Emyn Muil. And so, by remaining above the battle (okay, so they throw some darts, I think), they spread fear over a greater area than if they were Arda-bound. Plus it allows them to get wherever they're going a bit faster.

Quote:
they are always out of bow range and every one is too scared to try and shoot them. why hide away if no ones gona try shooting you???
Prince Imrahil, like Legolas, may have been able to bring one down. And walking all the way back to Barad-dur and explaining why you lost yet another mount is never fun.

Quote:
i still wanna see a nazgul fall 15 hundred feet. :
In flames, of course...